Linear Collider Forum

Home » Software Tools » Marlin et al » Event display - a combined solution?
Re: Event display - a combined solution? [message #1030 is a reply to message #1029] Thu, 30 August 2007 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ralf
jabernathy wrote on Wed, 29 August 2007 09:58

I've been researching using HepRep as an intermediate format. I'm partly done writing a dummy HepRepOutputProcessor and it has promising results.

I also wrote a quick perl script to generate a HepRep file containing a few thousand readout pads. The rendering in WIRED was slow (around 0.5 fps - or 1 frame every 2 seconds) but usable. I tested it with both Windows and Linux with similar results.

With the LDC event I mentioned above also zooming and rotating was a matter of several seconds instead of msec. That can get quite annoying (the "felt lag" is like minutes Wink).

Quote:

One of the problems I noticed was the size of the HepRep file. Each pad needed an instance of a polygon to represent it. If the HepRep standard is upgraded to allow geometry copying (much like G4 does) it would reduce the file size for repeated objects substantially.

The file/data size could also become a problem when transferring the data over a network connection.
Compressing the heprep files will help (one of my HepRep example files here is 2.2MB zipped and about 9.5 unzippped), but that will introduce again a lag due to the zipping/unzipping steps.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:gear file for LDC00_02Sc?
Next Topic:Problem installing Marlin 0.9.9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 15 01:53:10 Pacific Daylight Time 2019
.:: Contact :: Home ::.