Linear Collider Forum

Home » Software Tools » org.lcsim » Question about nested drivers
Question about nested drivers [message #1235] Wed, 31 October 2007 07:57 Go to previous message
kutschke
I am preparing two drivers:
  1. A driver based on Tim's test code that will create his hits and put them in the event.
  2. A driver to call the previous driver and give an example of accessing those hits.

The intended audience is people who want to use the second driver without caring about internals of the first.

Here is the question: The first driver presumes that one of Jeremy's drivers has been called. Where should that call be added? Should I put it in the first driver, where no one ever needs to know that it is there, or do I put it in the second driver so that it is intentionally exposed.

My first inclination is that it belongs in the first driver (the one that does the real work and which actually needs it ). On the small scale this works fine but it does not scale well. How does one discover, for some given task, which required drivers have already been called and therefore should not be called a second time.

Obviously either way can be made to work so this is an issue of standards and practices. Has this been discussed before and, if so, have the recommendations been documented?

Or are we too small a community, too early in the project to really care?

Rob

Rob Kutschke Computing Division, MS#234
kutschke@fnal.gov Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
Phone: (630) 840-5645 P.O. Box 500
Fax: (630) 840-2783 Batavia, IL 60510
http://home.fnal.gov/~kutschke/

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Memory problems building org.lcsim
Next Topic: Bug in AIDA.SaveaAsZip
Goto Forum: