Linear Collider Forum

Home » Analysis and Reconstruction » Tracking & Vertexing » Inconsistencies with "Transience Flag"
Re: Inconsistencies with "Transience Flag" [message #2094 is a reply to message #2093] Fri, 19 November 2010 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
In principle we could skip this flag at all. The LCIOOutputProcessor is able to drop or preserve collections, either by type or by name.

But I found it convenient to have this flag with the processor. I agree that the name is not very easy to understand, but I think the logic is good: Normally a collection is written, unless specified otherwise.
The parameters you propose have the inverse logic: The parameter has to be set for the collection to be written, and is true by default. Would this not cause more confusion, now that some users are already used to the current scheme?

How about changing the comment lines so people are aware what transient means:
A collection is NOT written to disk if the transient flag is true (default: false. The collection is written to disk).

In terms of backward compatibility: A new parameter does not necessarily have to be in the steering file. We just have to make sure it has a reasonable default value. I don't know if a parameter (the old one) is in the steering file but was removed from the processor. We cannot leave both (for backward compatibility) because their use is mutually exclusive. And we cannot give precedence to one. This would lead to strange bugs if both or the 'wrong' one is used/modified in the steering file.

So we could change the parameter without causing too much trouble. But I vote for clarifying the usage of SetOutputTransient and making it consistent.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 November 2010 02:45]

Martin Killenberg

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Recent Changes in MarlinTPC trunk
Next Topic:Problem in track reconstruction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 20 10:46:30 Pacific Daylight Time 2018
.:: Contact :: Home ::.