Linear Collider Forum

Home » Analysis and Reconstruction » Analysis Tools » Installation of ilcsoft v01-17-03 - Bug in DD4hep installation?! (DD4hep installation vulnerable to user environment)
warning.gif  Installation of ilcsoft v01-17-03 - Bug in DD4hep installation?! [message #2276] Wed, 16 October 2013 09:16 Go to previous message
poeschl
Dear Experts,

I am about to carry out an ilcsoft installation from *scratch* and I think I have stumbled over a bug in the installation of the dd4hep package

I got an error message saying

*** ERROR in module [ DD4hep ]: failed to compile!!

Further upstream it is written e.g.

/srv/ilcsoft/v01-17-03/DD4hep/v00-04/DDCore/include/DD4hep/O bjects.h:25:27: error: Math/Vector3D.h: No such file or directory

This means that the installation doesn't find some root include files.

It appears that the FindROOT.cmake in dd4hep finds my system wide root installation, which indeed doesn't contain the requested include files (why not is my problem but this doesn't matter here). When installed from *scratch* dd4hep should however always use the root version which got installed through the corresponding ilcinstall scripts.

The problem is (to my mind) in this line of code

find_program(ROOT_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE root-config
PATHS $ENV{ROOTSYS}/bin)

By this it stops searching on the first root-config it finds, which in my case is my (maybe buggy) system wide root installation.

I think one has to remedy this vulnerability, i.e. the FindROOT.cmake has somehow to be told which root version to use instead of starting to search on its own. It is very likely that on a system an additional root version is installed.

A temporary patch is:

find_program( ROOT_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE root-config HINTS ${ILC_HOME}/root/5.34.05/bin NO_DEFAULT_PATH)

After that build tells me

Found ROOT: /srv/ilcsoft/v01-17-03/root/5.34.05

while before it told me

Found ROOT: /usr

I prefer to use however a kind of official patch because I am afraid to destroy things down the line if I start to joke around with my private patches.

Thanks in advance and cheers,

Roman

P.S.: If the bug has been reported elsewhere and is corrected in the mean time, please excuse my ignorance

Read Message warning.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic:ilcsoft version v01-13-02 vanished from afs?
Next Topic:Best particle track display tool for a .slcio file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 9 18:38:03 Pacific Standard Time 2018
.:: Contact :: Home ::.